Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Leaning towards Votivgraphy

I am leaning towards calling my recent drawings Votivgraphy. Yes, I made it up, but my thinking behind this is that votive is associated with vow, offering and prayer. These drawings are votive in that they are often drawn prayer or meditation. With each day that I work on these drawings in my sketch book, I am trying to reflect on and pay closer attention to my daily experience. Words and phrases will stick with me during the course of the day, I sort of perseverate on them and this often becomes materialized in my drawings. As I draw these words or phrases they continue to work on me as I work on them. The drawings are less about being representative of the words, rather, they are the words spatialized, mapped, reflected upon and struggled with to create a unity, or a whole. This is a meditative practice made visual.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, John, there is a lot of passion in these drawings. They remind me of the Glasgow School--McNair, MacIntosh and the MacDonald sisters. Nice to see your work. I'm glad you are posting-it gives a bit of personal accountability and keeps you working.

    I'm hosting a new Bible study on campus that encompasses all the arts and we have a blog that we sometimes post our thoughts and images to. YOu might enjoy looking at that.

    creativebiblestudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete