Saturday, May 23, 2009

Illuminations

School is out for the summer and I hope to get the studio going . I have been doing so much work in my journal/sketchbook that I have neglected my painting. Summer and late night hours will provide a remedy. As mentioned in an earlier post, some of the works posted here will turn into oil paintings that will be posted also, if they come out better or on par with the original sketches. Also, the more I have thought about calling this work votivgraphy, I do like it, but it might be to much. The medieval monks and scribes that worked on illuminated manuscripts such as The Book of Kells inspire me. It has occurred to me that what I am doing with these texts has cross over with illuminated manuscripts. The monks and scribes, I imagine, got into meditative states as they intricately worked the texts into something more. Therefore, Illuminations might be a better name for what I am doing in these pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment